Re: [ontolog-forum] Past, Present, and Future of Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 23:33:20 +0100
Sean,    (01)

That's a great analogy. A similar but less one-dimensional way of saying
the same thing is to think in terms of a sort of meaningful
multi-dimensional "space" with words as attractors within that space.
This is Saussure essentially, but the mental picture I get is something
like a probability landscape, with words in a particular language acting
like minima within that landscape, so a particular person with a
particular vocabulary would experience a meaning and express that in
terms of the meaningful symbol (word) that is closest to that meaning.
We have all experienced what happens when something we want to say is
"on the tip of my tongue", and translators for example would hold
meanings in mind while translating from a word in one language to the
nearest word in that landscape from another language. That's why you
only really learn to speak a language when you think in that language
rather than translating constantly from your own.    (02)

An interesting thing happens when we learn a new word, or a word in
another language that doesn't have a direct equivalent in our own - see
for example Milan Kundera's explanation of the Czech word "litost",
which once described over a couple of pages, makes sense of something we
all experience but few of us have a word for (I won't attempt to repeat
the explanation, but it comes down to a specific kind of feeling of
failure).    (03)

We have intriguing glimpses and models of how the mechanism might work,
from cognitive psychology. The main mechanism for all laying down of
meaning, and therefore presumably of the laying down of meanings of
words, is of course Hebbian learning, where pathways that are activated
in a brain become more able to carry a signal in future. De Bono
interprets this into a really nice working model of a brain in which we
can see the beginnings of mind phenomena like the above. He uses the
Hebbian mechanism to create a working model which he calls a "Special
Memory Surface" which is capable of creating attractors for meanings.    (04)

I think it's useful to try and form a working model for meaning, if only
to discourage ourselves from trying to replicate it in a practical
ontology that is capable of industrial application.    (05)

So there is meaning in human minds that has words, and meaning that does
not have words. However, human words themselves, especially in a large
and diverse language like English, goes way beyond what it is needed for
a useful industrial application. Meanings in human (and other
biological) minds are a result of the constantly changing experiences of
the individual. Much progress has been made possible by nailing these
down, starting with dictionaries and moving on into the world of standards.    (06)

In understanding the shifting human experience of meaning, I don't think
we should try to replicate it for practical industrial applications. I
would go one stage further and suggest that the organisim which is a
business has a far simpler set of sensory organs than a human, and also
benefits from a level of standardisation of the symbols it uses and the
meanings that are attached to those symbols. Indeed most legal perils
that face an organisation result from ambiguous meanings of terms in
contracts. So not only should we not try to replicate the
multi-dimensional sea of meanings in a human, I suggest we should also
not try to replicate the increasingly diverse sea of words that we find
in human languages.    (07)

Maybe once we've got computers to talk to each other in an unambiguous
way, then there is some mileage in this other cool stuff.    (08)

Mike    (09)

--
Mike Bennett
Director