[ontolog-forum] Past, Present, and Future of Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 23:05:20 -0400
Before proposing new ontologies and projects for developing them,
I suggest that we review past proposals and developments. People
often say that artificial intelligence is a new field.  But I
remind them that the founding workshop for the field of AI was
held in 1956, ten years before Alan Perlis established the first
computer science department at Carnegie Tech (now CMU).    (01)

The basic ideas of ontology are much older.  Aristotle began the
systematic study of the categories of existence, their organization
in a hierarchy, and their definition and analysis in terms of formal
logic.  I keep reminding advocates of OWL and other description
logics that the most widely used subset of OWL happens to be
identical with Aristotle's syllogisms.    (02)

For a brief review of this history, I recommend the slides for
my talk, "The Challenge of Knowledge Soup":    (03)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/challenge.pdf    (04)

For an even shorter summary, see the slide at the end of this note.
Note the acronym SRKB (Shared Reusable Knowledge Bases) in the
projects of the 1990s.  That goals of that project were similar
to those of the SUO email list and ontolog forum.  Following are
the SRKB archives from 1991 to 1996:    (05)

    http://ksl.stanford.edu/email-archives/srkb.index.html    (06)

The most discouraging observation is that most of the position papers
written in 1991 would be just as appropriate today.  At the end of
this message is a copy of my position paper from 1991.    (07)

Other position papers on that list are also relevant.  In note #12,
Mark Fox made the following point:    (08)

MF> What has been called "upper level" ontologies would of course be
 > useful but the sharing of the lower level, more domain specific terms
 > and instances is also necessary.  The problem here is that different
 > parts of the organization do not use the same terms even when
 > referring to the same concept.  Any attempt to standardize terminology
 > fails.  Secondly, enforcing the use of the same terminology can lead
 > to inefficient problem solving for a particular function. Thus arises
 > the distinction between the language of communication and the language
 > used by a function to reason.    (09)

 From note #13 by Lewis Johnson,    (010)

LJ> ... we must support multiple models of concepts.  The form of
 > represented knowledge depends upon the intended use of that knowledge,
 > and Aries users inevitably use concepts for different purposes.  For
 > example, when monitoring the progress of a flight it is sufficient
 > to model a flight plan as a sequence of flight segments, each along
 > a straight line.  When defining radar tracking systems, it is
 > important to model aircraft maneuvers in detail, in order to predict
 > the position of the aircraft at the next point in time; the overall
 > flight plan of the aircraft is unimportant... Analysts will need to
 > specialize general models to their particular concerns; they also
 > will need to adapt reusable knowledge to remove assumptions that
 > turn out to be unwarranted.    (011)

 From note #14 by Jintae Lee and Tom Malone,    (012)

JL&TM> As applied to the problem of shared reusable KBs, or shared
 > ontologies, the relevant questions are:  Do we want a canonical set
 > of primitives?  When do we want to allow them to be customized?
 > Is translation among the customized or specialized primitives
 > feasible, desirable?  What kinds of translation mechanism are possible
 > and what are the dimensions along which tradeoffs occur?
 >
 > If we proceed to work on a single shared ontology, without considering
 > these broader issues, then we might make the mistake of having a
 > technology that solves no real problems.    (013)

That cautionary remark at the end is critical.  I believe that many
of the ontologies that are being proposed or built today do not even
recognize those critical issues.  As a result, they are solutions
in search of nonexistent problems.    (014)

 From note #16 by Bill Mark,    (015)

BM> My belief is that we *can* have lots of knowledge to share, but
 > only if we start building it to be sharable.  Knowledge can be worth
 > sharing for a variety of reasons: it may be a repository of problem
 > solving know-how; an integral record that supports reasoning about
 > a set of decisions (e.g., that comprise some design); a medium of
 > communication to be used by people cooperating to solve a problem;
 > and so on.  I think that we don't know much at all about how we will
 > share knowledge, but I suspect that the different reasons for sharing
 > knowledge will require different technologies in their support.    (016)

 From note #18 by Brian Williams and Danny Bobrow,    (017)

BW&DB> It is easy for our knowledge sharing efforts to fall into a
 > knowledge representation black hole.  Its important to avoid the
 > urge to represent knowledge in an absolute, use independent manner.
 > Many of us have learned this lesson painfully...
 >
 > The notion of domain dependent and domain independent are misguided.
 > ... The concepts of domain dependence/independence are too black and
 > white to be useful.  Each theory has a range of applicability
 > somewhere in the vast middle between case specific and all
 > encompassing....
 >
 > Knowledge sharing should respect the different granularities of
 > knowledge and reasoning about that knowledge.    (018)

 From note #19 by Mark Tuttle,    (019)

MT> I believe that "systems which are used tend to get better".
 > Therefore trying to create a path which would both allow early success
 > and at the same time lay the groundwork for more ambitious success
 > later should be a high priority.  Thus "incrementalism" should be
 > an important part of the vision.    (020)

 From note #20 by Pat Hayes,    (021)

PH> ... to suggest that there should be a standard ontology for natural
 > language and common sense is nothing short of irresponsible for anyone
 > competent in AI.  Cyc is the only attempt to even try this idea out
 > thoroughly, and it is discovering all sorts of difficulties and
 > complexities, and doesnt even claim to have got it right or even to
 > know for sure whether it can really be done: its an experiment.  And
 > you want to set a Standard??  Fortunately, the idea is so ridiculous
 > that it hasn't a hope in hell of getting anywhere.    (022)

Pat made that point in 1991, and he was right.  In response, Bob Neches
made the following point:    (023)

BN> Well, my personal view is that shared ontologies are possible with
 > today's knowledge representation technology -- but they will *evolve*
 > rather than being legislated.  That is, standard shared ontologies
 > will emerge out of a marketplace -- people will use and refine ones
 > that seem useful, and they will become more useful in the process.
 > I think they'll start small and specific, rather than broad and
 > general.
 >
 > Thus, the only successful "standard" ontologies will be *de facto
 > standards*.  I don't think it will happen by fiat.    (024)

In note #62, Doug Lenat and R. V. Guha made the following comments
about the search for a set of "primitives":    (025)

DL&RVG> The problems... are (a) there is no small set, and (b) it's
 > almost impossible to nail down the meaning of most interesting terms,
 > because of the inherent ambiguity in whatever set of terms are
 > "primitive."
 >
 > So what did we do?
 >
 > (1) For one thing, we insist only on local coherence.  I.e., groups
 > share most of the meaning of most of the terms with other groups,
 > but within a group (working on a particular micro-theory) they strive
 > for complete sharing.
 >
 > (2) For another thing, both kinds of sharing are greatly facilitated
 > by the existing KB content --- i.e., if the terms involved are already
 > used in many existing axioms.
 >
 > While (2) can be achieved through massive straightforward effort,
 > (1) is more subtle, and has required certain significant extensions
 > to the representation framework. More specifically, we had to
 > introduce the whole machinery of contexts/micro-theories into Cyc
 > (which is why "divergence" has been much less of a problem, since
 > 1990.)    (026)

All these points are important.  But the most discouraging point is
that they were stated in 1991, they are just as relevant today, and
people are still proposing projects that ignore these principles.    (027)

I believe that anybody with a new proposal should review those
notes from 1991 (and other related writings) and demonstrate how
their proposed system will address those issues.    (028)

John Sowa
___________________________________________________________________    (029)

Proposals for a Universal Ontology    (030)

* 4th century BC:  Aristotle’s categories and syllogisms.    (031)

* 3rd century AD:  The Tree of Porphyry for organizing Aristotle's
   categories in a familiar tree diagram.    (032)

* 17th century: Universal language schemes by Descartes, Mersenne,
   Pascal, Leibniz, Newton, Wilkins, and others.    (033)

* 18th century: More schemes, the Grand Academy of Lagado, Kant's
   categories.    (034)

* 19th century: Roget’s Thesaurus, Oxford English Dictionary.    (035)

* Early 20th century: Many terminologies in many different fields.    (036)

* 1960s: Computerized versions of the terminologies.    (037)

* 1970s: ANSI/SPARC Conceptual Schema.    (038)

* 1980s: Cyc, WordNet, Japanese Electronic Dictionary project.    (039)

* 1990s: SRKB, ISO Conceptual Schema, Semantic Web, many workshops.    (040)

* 2000s: Many proposals, no consensus.    (041)

Informal terminologies and dictionaries have been extremely successful.    (042)

Formal systems are still research projects.    (043)

Source:  Slide 4 of http://www.jfsowa.com//talks/semtech2.pdf    (044)

Source: http://ksl.stanford.edu/email-archives/srkb.messages/17.html    (046)