Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology Project Organization: (was: Research Illusi

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali.hashemi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 18:59:54 +0200
Great idea Pat,

Just want to reiterate one basic point -- the idea of a single foundation ontology is fundamentally, and fatally flawed. I think you've agreed with this suggestion in the past as well, but I see the term being used here in the singular.

As has been noted by many before, there are multiple ontologies (theories) of time, identity, persistence etc. which are quite inconsistent with each other if we try to include all their axioms at once. While translations (or mappings) may exist between the varying paradigms, there is no one, overarching theory which encompasses them all. Unless of course it's denuded of any practical specfication.

As (among others) John Sowa has also pointed out, a more sensible approach would be to collect these competing (complementary) ontologies in a repository.

Anyhow, my 2¢: If the goal is to identify a single theory which everyone subscribes to -- i think we're chasing a ghost. However, if the end goal is to identify several of the major / influential paradigms and to explicate how they interconnect with one another, and then to identify the translations / mappings between them to enable (partial) interoperability - then i'm all for it.

Cheers,
Ali