Re: [ontolog-forum] web-syllogism-and-worldview

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:42:51 -0700
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Remember the line that Amanda mentioned and I highlighted:
>
>    Ontology is fractal.
>
> That means that the amount of detail that is necessary at each
> level is the same at every level you examine.  That implies that
> we will need something of the size of WordNet for every topic
> of every branch of human knowledge and activity.  The completely
> precise version you are asking for will dwarf the current WWW.
>
> Yet a child at the age of 3 has a command of language that is
> far better than any computer system today.  And that child
> doesn't need Cyc or WordNet or formal logic.  I believe we
> should focus on what makes a child smart -- and it's not Cyc
> or anything remotely like it.

<RHM>
>From what I've read about childhood development,
young children use a very simple language of their own.
Words in a sentence may be in no particular order, or
they may use a simple "pivot" grammar.  Their concepts
are very primitive, and tied to specific examples from
their own sensory experiences.
Most of my reading was in Piaget, many years ago.
I don't remember the details of what changes occur
at what ages.