Re: [ontolog-forum] web-syllogism-and-worldview - Early pre-lingual comm

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 23:24:56 -0500

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Duane Nickull wrote:    (01)

> On 4/21/09 5:12 AM, "Dr. K Goodier" <kgoodier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Interesting topic for this forum.  Do any of you have very early
>> memories,
>> particularly from a time before you could communicate with language?
>>

>> K Goodier
>
> Yes, although there are no words or symbols.  It was sort of a
> generalized
> feeling rather than concise memory.  It took me an immense amount
> of time to figure out where I thought it was coming from.
>
> Looking at this objectively however, I could also be somewhat
> delusional
> since there is no concrete way to verify that those feelings were in
> fact
> accurate.  There is no way to map them to a test although I firmly
> believe I
> actually remember components of my pre-verbal communication era.
>    (02)

FWIW (not much) I have a small number of clear, vivid memories, all of
them visual, from early childhood, which I was able to date quite
precisely as I was able, many years later, to recognize the actual
places from the memories, and my parents were able to tell me the
times I had been there. The earliest was from the age of 19 months. I
have no idea why these few images were retained so clearly in my
memory. They do not seem to correspond to any significant incidents or
emotional peaks at the time. They are completely non-linguistic, and
although I was a precocious speaker and reader, I doubt if my
linguistic skills were very advanced at that early age.    (03)

Pat H.    (04)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (06)