Re: [ontolog-forum] Incompatibilities in 3D to 4D

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ali Hashemi <ali.hashemi+ontolog@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:12:59 -0400
To echo Chris S's point.

When we translate between CAD tools which use Tarski primitives (only points), and Hilbert primitives (points, lines and planes), in our translation between the two software choices, we aren't worried about talking about "meaningless" (gag-worthy) abstractions. They are fundamental to interoperability.

I might object to these translations on real, philosophical grounds and the ensuing discussion and contention through such a focus may also affect engineering / business implementations. However, given the state of what is today, and the fact that as you point out, the translations are fairly clear - aside from actually specifying the mereology axioms, what's the ontology engineering problem? Aesthetic displeasure at a mapping axiom?

I hope my question is clear,

Ali

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Christopher Spottiswoode <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Pat,

> So if both sides are willing to not gag when they see something
> apparently meaningless, treating it as ugly sugar for something
> meaningful, then both can get
along.

> The hard part is social, getting each side to not gag when they
> see apparent nonsense in their ontology.

But is it always clear that the respective automated reasoners -
or at least the one charged with the translation - will not gag?
Or can the translation axioms always be applied independently of
the reasoners while still preserving the semantics?  If so, why
has the whole issue not been resolved in this way long ago?  If
not, well, then there is still a problem...?  (Or that is why you
say it is "the hard part", because you mean "social" in a "society
of mind" way, between automated agents, and not in a human-social
way?)

If my questions are merely ignorant (which wouldn't surprise me at
all in this matter...) perhaps you can easily point out where I
have got it wrong?

Christopher

--