Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 12:57:29 -0500
You may need to look more closely into sectors that are suffering from
lack of interoperability and tackle them individually.    (01)

The cost of interoperability problems between the Agricultural industry
and the Health industry are negligible compared to interoperability
within Healthcare (just to pick a random sector that is just about to
get billions to solve interoperability).    (02)

If you can find 100 suppliers, consumers and funders of Healthcare who
care about interoperability, you will find the money.
Start talking to the big system integrators. You might find that
ontologies are a big part of what they are proposing to the new US
administration as one of the tools that is required to support the
modernization of the Healthcare industry in the US.
If you are going to have portable electronic health records, you had
better have a way to understand the records that each individual will carry.    (03)

The banking sector is another interesting sector where regulators might
be very interested in using ontology to support a new regulatory
framework and a highly efficient and automated reporting structure that
can spot dangerous situations before a complete collapse.    (04)

Trying to take 5 healthcare expert, 5 agribusiness, 5 bankers and 5
experts from each of the other 17 or so industries to make the ruling
100 experts for the world is likely to result in projects with 0%
probability of success. Any number of investments with 0 return is still
a waste of money.    (05)

Ron    (06)