Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 14:44:56 -0600

On Feb 10, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Ian Bailey wrote:    (01)

> Hi John,
>
> You wrote "there is no foundation ontology that anyone could hope to
> recommend".  Well, I personally recommend IDEAS, but then again I
> would.
>
> I'd actually like to understand what you (and anyone else) think
> constitutes
> a foundation ontology. We're pretty clear about it in IDEAS - it's
> the set
> of ontic categories (thing, type, tuple, individual)    (02)

OK, I havn't looked at IDEAS closely, but already I have problems with
it. What is the distinction between Thing and Individual? Why can a
Type not be a Thing? (Certainly it is extremely useful to be able to
assert properties of and relations between types: can you do that
without saying the Type is a Thing or an Individual? If so, what kind
of logic do you use?)    (03)

BTW, I wouldn't describe this list as an ontology at all, more like
the underlying formalism of an ontology. I would add immediately that
this isnt a clear boundary, but your list here doesn't seem to be
about the world being described so much as about the apparatus you
propose to use to describe it. This is the kind of thing that is built-
in in RDFS and OWL, for example.    (04)

> plus their
> relationships (sub-super, type-instance, etc.), plus the naming
> pattern
> (based on Chris's ideas, which are based on Quine's).    (05)

Quine was a strict nominalist. Does IDEAS agree with Quine that to be,
is to be the value of a bound variable? (We had to resoundingly reject
that dictum in the IKRIS project, when working with a variety of
formalisms, all making different Quinean ontic commitments; and I am
sure it will not survive on the Web, where one man's fiction is
another man's reality.)    (06)

> We set this bit of the
> ontology in stone and bind implementations (our UML Profile, our RDBMS
> structure and our RDFS projections) against it.
>
> IDEAS is layered; foundation, common patterns, subject areas    (07)

Thats where the ontology starts, I would say. And the higher-level
ontology is about subject areas that crop up just about everywhere:
time, location, processes, substances, abstract vs. concrete things,
etc.    (08)

Pat H    (09)

phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us       http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes    (011)