Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 12:43:00 -0600
Umm... I am confused (and I apologize for missing the telecon that might have unconfused me.) The topic for the current Summit mixes the topics of 'ontology' and 'standards'. But this can be understood in several rather different ways.

(1) Using ontologies as a tool in the business of writing standards. Here, 'writing standards' is a broadly conceived topic area, and the standards might refer to almost anything. For example, someone might argue that the business of writing standards for future high-speed USB communication protocols would benefit from the participants writing and using ontologies, or perhaps a particular ontology.

(2) Defining, or approaching the definition of, a standard ontology. This would presumably be some variety of 'unified upper level' or 'comprehensive' ontology, or perhaps a collection of related ontologies, etc.., of the kind developed as part of the Cyc project or the SUMO effort, or as proposed by Pat Cassidy or Azamat in previous postings.

(3) Standardizing the business of writing ontologies themselves. This would presumably link with our previous focus on ontology repositories, where a strong theme emerged of "quality control" for ontologies, and several nascent ontology-writing methodologies, or at least collections of good-practice rules and maxims, seemed to be visible in the general intellectual murk.

If I follow Azamat and Ravi's messages, below, they seem (?) to be talking about (2), but I'm not sure that this is the intended interpretation for the Summit.

Pater, can you confirm/clarify?

Pat Hayes

------
On Feb 9, 2009, at 11:3