Re: [ontolog-forum] standard ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Steve Ray <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:20:39 -0800
Hi, I would like to confirm that Pat's alternative #1 was my intention when I drafted the objective of the summit for this year. I apologize for my silence - I'm in the midst of a cross-country move. The main point is that ontologies offer us a more rigorous means of stating what we mean to say, and rigor and precision are the very things that standards need to avoid misinterpretation down the road. Michael G. provides some good expansions of this original idea, and Ron Wheeler is laying down some great action-oriented questions.

My pragmatic side tells me that adopting ontological methods in the development of standards is more likely to succeed as a first step than trying to get people to agree on any universal "standard ontologies".

Where there already is consensus, as in many existing standards, we could add great value by making those standards more explicitly precise. As an example, the SI units of measure are agreed to and well defined, yet those definitions and their numerous interrelationships are not explicitly stated in a computable form. One could imagine "ontologizing" that network of definitions.

I strongly support the direction this thread is taking - toward concrete, actionable topics.

- Steve