Re: [ontolog-forum] Is there something I missed?

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:20:55 +0000
A distinction I find useful (though not very formal) is that ontology
(singular) is the study of what is, while ontologies (plural) are the
representations of reality that exist - whether you know about it or not
- within individual computer systems and databases, i.e. the local
representation of the reality about which the computer is manipulating
symbols, with varying degrees of success.    (01)

I don't know how well grounded or attested that working definition is
though.    (02)

A formal modern ontology is a good tool for discovering some of that
undocumented or implied ontology that is lurking around various systems
and databases.    (03)

Mike    (04)

--
Mike Bennett