Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking forward at the past

To: <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:30:05 +0100

John    (01)

STEP (as I say incessantly), separates out Product, version,
view, property, property-representation and representation-presentation,
and relates them  pairwise in that order. It also has type/subtype,
has-a and has-role. The semantics of all these relations make them seem
fundamentally different, especially when coupled with the existance
rules of STEP relationships - e.g. A version must be a version of a Product,
it cannot exist independently. I could use "Has-a" for quite a number of
these
relationships, but given that the domains (thing, time, perspective,
*property-of, representation, appearance) are quite separate, it seems
that one is using the same presentation for independent properties, and
creating ambiguity where there should be none.    (02)

*property-of - there is no such thing as property, rather the word
"property" signifies a language game where we can say something of
something else (the ink has the property blackness, the paper flatness,
the e-mail lateness).    (03)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK    (04)