Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking forward at the past

To: <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 14:04:11 +0100

John    (01)

In the post I was replying to, you wrote:    (02)

"As I have said in various notes, my view of a foundational
ontology consists of a large, but very sparsely axiomatized
type hierarchy, which would primarily be based on two relations:
type/subtype and part/whole.  In fact, it might be better to
think of it as little more than a well-designed taxonomy and
meronomy for a large vocabulary."    (03)

The comment was that you probably need a bigger range of fundamental
relationships to cover what is available on the web. Most web pages are
presentations
rendering a representation (HTML, XML) describing a "property" of something
at
some point in its lifecycle from a particular viewpoint. There is quite a
difference
between buying a Ferrari on E-bay and buying a picture of the Ferarri, so
knowing whether
the reference is to the picture or the thing it presents is quite important.    (04)

We might sensibly have a debate whether views, representations etc are "as
foundational" as
subtypes or part/whole - though not this week, as I'm travelling.    (05)

Sean Barker
Bristol    (06)