Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking forward at the past

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Conklin, Don" <don.conklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 06:18:01 -0600
John,    (01)

I'm going to disagree with you here (and I tend to agree with a lot of
what you say, BTW). The reason you can effectively communicate with the
cast of characters in your examples requires much, much more than the
lowest level task common definitions. Many of these things are of the
sort that would be in a foundational ontology. Let me try to list them
to buttress my assertion;
        * Time
        * Location
        * Interdependencies in general and specifically for each domain
your character is working in
        * A host of concepts:
                -contracts
                -Residential building codes
                -budgeting
                -competitive pricing
                -anatomy
                -nutrition
                -locale specific cuisine
                -context to parse the communications correctly    (02)

Like you, I have communicated successfully in countries where I did not
speak the language by a variety of gestures and pointing to objects
whose meaning facilitated common understanding. Once again, I think
there was sufficient grounding in enough concepts (like those above)
that the Chinese salesman in Kowloon was able to get me to understand
that I would pay less for the watch I wanted if I used my VISA card
instead of my American Express card.     (03)

I don't think there will ever be universal agreement on a foundational
ontology that would have enough to it to be useful. I do think the
challenge for the application of semantic technologies is the
development of the capability to not only resolve definitions of terms
in namespaces when mapping between ontologies but to extend one's own
representation to include new concepts when encountered.     (04)

Don      (05)