Re: [ontolog-forum] Looking forward at the past

To: "Schiffel, Jeffrey A" <jeffrey.a.schiffel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 15:37:56 -0500

On Oct 6, 2008, at 2:51 PM, Schiffel, Jeffrey A wrote:

Pat,

Please see my earlier posting that had several references. Also, a brief Amazon search on _organizational semiotics_ yields many titles.

So it does, indeed. And many of them use the word "affordance", though not in any way I find comprehensible.

Amazing, that an entire 'discipline' can be created out of whole cloth, based on a single book, apparently with no relationship - even a bibliographical cross-reference - to anything occurring previously, re-(and mis-) using an established technical vocabulary without any reference to its earlier meaning. This phenomenon itself should be the subject of study by sociologists.

Pat Hayes