Re: [ontolog-forum] mKR (was Thing and Class)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rob Freeman" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:24:17 +0800
Chris,    (01)

If you are really confused by my reference to the "pitfalls of formal
logic" I apologize.    (02)

My comment was most directly in the context of the artificial
intelligence work of Marcus Hutter and Juergen Schmidhuber immediately
above in my original message.    (03)

Traditionally AI has been approached as a problem of formal logic.
This has proven intractable for reasons which I believe closely
resemble those which prevented a basis in formal logic for
mathematics, broadly "Gödelian incompleteness".    (04)

Hence by my lights formal logic has "pitfalls" as a basis for AI (and
mathematics.)    (05)

The work of Schmidhuber and Hutter avoid these "pitfalls", by ignoring
formal logic and seeking a basis for meaning in
prediction/probability.    (06)

It is interesting to compare this with, e.g. Greg Chaitin's work on
mathematical randomness (and also the retreat to "statistical models"
in computational linguistics.)    (07)

As I said in the "Axiomatic ontology" thread I personally prefer to
look for a basis for this randomness in something like Vitiello's
"many-body system" approach (or Chris Anderson's "Google"/Robert
Laughlin's "bottom down", crystalline structure inspired, physics.)
But the different approaches don't conflict (no less the success of
"transformation invariance", as a fundamental parameter for
understanding the world, in "geometric" models.).    (08)

-Rob    (09)