Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 12:12:01 -0400
Pat & Rob:    (01)

Although not as well known as much of what is discussed regularly here,
Joseph Goguen's work included institutions, algebraic semiotics and
semiotic morphisms that relate category theory to semantics.    (02)

The notional connections might go something like:    (03)

develop semiotics from semantics
define algebraic semiotics
develop semiotic morphisms from structure preserving morphisms    (04)

http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/~goguen/    (05)

Goguen, the author of the Categorical Manifesto, left a legacy that will
take a few generations to fully develop. Institutions are a pretty a
pretty good place to start ...    (06)

http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/~goguen/projs/inst.html    (07)

Also note, the work on the Heterogeneous Tool Set (HETS) here ...    (08)

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/agbkb/forschung/formal_methods/CoFI/hets/index_e.htm    (09)

seems to be nicely developing a framework for Goguen's institutions ...    (010)

Rick    (011)