Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick J. Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 17:56:04 -0500

From: Mike Bennett [mailto:mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
To: [ontolog-forum] [mailto:ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 12:21:44 -0500
Subject: Re: [ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

John,

The IBM component idea is pretty much universal nowadays in system
design, as the "Least Replaceable Assembly" or some such name. Designers
are encouraged to design such that these are replaceable in the field
with a minimum of spares holding, which leads to something like object
design for hardware, and of course standard backplanes.

As a result, something like a fire alarm system, HVAC system or
emergency shutdown system consists entirely and only of parts (like your
rifle). This is further complicated by the fact that the parts are often
arranged in a dual-redundant or triplicated arrangement. The result is
that the "Continuant Thing" which is your industrial system, continues
to exist and function when any one of these parts fails, rather like a
person with one kidney, except that it continues to perform according to
the full design specification (all it loses when a component fails, is
the ability to survive a further similar failure). So unlike the family
axe or the rifle it remains the same thing, without that part.
The same is true of many non-manufactured things, though. A tree grows from a sapling and then loses two limbs in a hurricane, all the time remaining the same tree. We all lose and gain cells by the hundred every minute, but remain the same person, with the same body; and so on. Some things are in a permanent state of dynamic replenishment, and wouldn't be possible any other way, yet we individuate them as one lasting thing: rivers, tsunami waves, thunderstorms, the Olympic flame, etc.. And I think the point of the family axe is that is really is the same axe, even though none of its parts are original. Continuity of the assembly need not depend on continuity of its components. We choose, for practical reasons, to individuate some pieces of the dynamic world as 'being the same thing' even though their physical make-up, either of components in an assembly or of actual physical stuff, may change. In some cases - a shadow (see Casati's wonderful monograph) or an edge - there need not be any actual physical 'parts' of the 'thing' at all, yet we will still individuate it and name it if we find it useful to do so. Shadows are real enough, but they are not part of anything and have no substance. Edges are real enough, and can even be dangerous, even though they have no volume and cannot be made of anything.

The moral is that this should not be surprising or challenging. Why should the individuation criteria across time be determined by parthood? The two topics have, prima facia, nothing really to do with one another. I think we expect that they should because in the (common) case where something is not thought of as having parts, when it is nothing more than a piece of stuff, we tend to use sameness of that stuff as the individuating criterion; but even here , the rule is not universal: a vase and pile of broken vase-pieces are not the same thing.

I must admit I struggled with the parts thing, having tried to create an
ontology framework based around your first/second/third order,
continuant v occurrent and concrete v abstract. I could not see that any
of these corresponded to "Part" so I wondered whether to add that to
this overall framework or if I was missing something.

In the end I went for defining "Part" as a continuant, relative thing,
with a relationship "is part of" to "Continuant Thing", with the inverse
relationship "has part" from Continuant Thing to Continuant Thing.
I suggest that to relate parthood to continuant is a mistake, in general. First of all, the very idea of a continuant is seriously flawed. Second, non-continuant things can surely have parts; and, most serious of all, the whole point of examples like these is that even if one believes in continuants, you will be forced to admit that there are continuants whose identity criteria are completely at odds with any account of how they are made up of parts or components. As Heraclitus noted some time ago, if a river is made of the water that comprises it, then you never step in the same river twice. But still, rivers are made of water:  its the water that makes your foot wet, after all.

Pat Hayes
My
reasoning was that a thing can be a continuant thing and still be a part
of another thing, but a thing defined as a Part is a second order
definition of that (first order, continuant) thing as a part. I'm not
sure if the inverse property should be to Part instead.

I've no idea if that's the best way to do it but it seems to cover the
requirements. For example I have "Contractual Terms Set" as a part of a
Contract, and this is used when modelling relationships between say a
bond security and its interest payment terms, which are a kind of
Contractual Terms Set.

Mike

Mike Bennett
Director