[ontolog-forum] Thing and Class

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: KR-language <KR-language@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 06:58:13 -0700
This seems the perfect way to introduce myself,
since I originated this topic on semantic-web@xxxxxx.

After a couple of hours of browsing around Ontolog,
I feel at home here.  I wish I had known about Ontolog
years ago!  For the past six years, I have been making
myself infamous with W3C, because they don't want
to discuss epistemology and ontology.

On to the question of terminology.  I favor the terms
used by Ayn Rand (Intro. to Objectivist Epistemology),
with a couple of additions.  This is my "tabula rasa"
ontology (before generalizing characteristics of
entities to characteristics of existents).

existent
    group  # abstract Entity
    entity # physical Entity
    characteristic  # property
        part        # single entity, separable
        attribute   # single entity, inseparable
        relation    # multiple entity
        action      # single entity, space, time
        interaction # multiple entity, space, time
    proposition

The terms that I added were
    group
    interaction
    proposition

To address the subject line, I favor "existent"
instead of "thing", and "concept" instead of "class".
"concept" is a special kind of "group".

P.S. I am looking forward to some future discussions
of "context".  The epistemological foundation of
my knowledge representation language, mKR, is
context and definitions. In a very real sense,
I can say that mKR "implements" the theories of
Ayn Rand and Keith Devlin.

Dick McCullough
Ayn Rand do speak od mKR done;
mKE do enhance od Real Intelligence done;
knowledge haspart proposition list;
http://mKRmKE.org/