[ontolog-forum] Fw: Thing and Class

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Sean Barker" <sean.barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:41:10 +0100

1) Having developed systems based on abstract data types - the precursor
of objects - I use type in a completely different way to Class.
Personally, I would like the Old English term "mathom"
(equivalent to modern English "thing"), as the only baggage it carries
is its use by JRR Tolkein as an unwanted birthday present.    (01)

2) The product of a design office is designs, instances of the general
mathom "design". In the DO, any class/type structure applied to a set of
designs is
a generalization of the set of design instances - designs are not classes
for anything. The product of a
manufacturing organization is parts, each of which is an instance of a
design. Is a part an instance of an instance? Or perhaps the processes
of transmitting the design from the DO to manufacturing transforms an
instance to a class/type. And if you remanufacture or repair a part, even
after it has been used, it becomes an instance of a different design. (And
don't let
me get going about interfaces and slots).    (02)

Sean Barker
Bristol, UK    (03)