Re: [ontolog-forum] Semantic Web shortcomings [was Re:ANN: GoodRelations

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Rick Murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 16:38:29 -0400
John, many thanks. I have a few questions below.    (01)

John F. Sowa wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Although I have a strong interest in philosophical issues as an
> inspiration for doing research, I believe that a computational
> method must be evaluated on its results.    (02)

I believe this too. In my post I take the opportunity to differentiate
the capabilities of the computational methods used by the semantic web
community from those used by other communities. I differentiate the four
standard reasoning services of description logic reasoners from the
reasoning services offered by theorem provers and I call for the
semantic web community to develop new reasoning services.    (03)

As your narrative describes below the selection of techniques used by
heterogeneous agents to execute a computational method is significant to
results. In addition to inspiring research topics, I believe
philosophical issues like truth and meaning are useful selection
criteria and relevant to the techniques used by agents.    (04)

> Evaluating methods on
> the basis of terminology derived from realism or idealism is
> as meaningful as deciding among algorithms because they were
> invented by a Christian, Jew, Muslim, or atheist.    (05)

I agree here as well and note the criteria implied by my post for
selecting among heterogeneous agents to achieve a desired result is much
stronger than terminological. I believe the post carefully and
accurately describes the model theory for the semantic web as one of
truth, not meaning. And its important to understand the claims of a "web
of meaning" in the context of RDF model theory. So, differentiating
philosophical issues like truth and meaning would be valid selection
criteria for agents extending well beyond terminology.    (06)

> Following is a note I sent to Corpora list.    (07)

Many thanks for the reference to the Corpora list and your thoughtful
insights !    (08)