Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Models v. Ontologies (again)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 02:44:14 -0400
Chris,    (01)

Although I agree with you on most of the technical details of
modern logic, I believe that mathematical logic in the 20th
century would have developed quite well if Frege and Russell
had not existed.  See, for example, the brief history by
Hilary Putnam:    (02)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/peirce/putnam.htm
    Peirce the Logician    (03)

CM> Hard to imagine how anyone working in formal and applied
 > ontology, which owes so much to the influence of Frege and
 > Russell -- esp the use of logic in the analysis of philosophical
 > problems -- can think of W's work after the Tractatus as
 > anything other than a big step backwards.    (04)

The Tractatus was a brilliant toy.  If that had been a correct
theory about the nature of language and thought, the HAL 9000
would be ruling the world today.    (05)

Wittgenstein's later work was strongly influenced by Frank Ramsey,
who was a brilliant logician who saw through the flaws in the
Tractatus and recommended that W. read Peirce's writings.    (06)

Rush Rhees noted that W. had later written a letter to his sister,
in which he recommended the following early, but brief compilation
of a few of CSP's writings:    (07)

    C. S. Peirce, _Chance, Love, and Logic_, edited by Morris Cohen.    (08)

It was a great tragedy for 20th century logic and philosophy that
Ramsey had died so young.  If Ramsey had survived, I'm sure that
he would have rescued 20th-century philosophy from the clutches
of Frege-Russellism.    (09)