Re: [ontolog-forum] Data Models v. Ontologies (again)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Neil Custer" <neil.custer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 09:13:44 -0500
John,

re: Any such classification oversimplifies too much.

Unfortunately, in consideration of some of the people I need to educate on the value of ontology engineering, there is no such thing as "oversimplification".  Generalizations are a good thing, just like top-level ontologies.  They help give some common "frame of reference" to work with, even if those I'm sharing with don't understand half of the concepts the way that I do.  Having said that, I've much catching up to do, but I'm motivated.  I'm finding your "Mathematical Background" material good reading.  That should tell you something.

-- Neil
<mantra deleted>