Re: [ontolog-forum] [bfo-discuss] Re: Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: Jakub Kotowski <jakubkotowski@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:56:28 -0500
At 8:56 AM +0200 5/13/08, Jakub Kotowski wrote:
Patrick,

Patrick Cassidy wrote:

>    But I haven't seen examples of the problem you refer.  Can you provide
> examples that were actually caused by multiple inheritance rather than
> simple errors in some instance of assigning subtype per se?

Maybe it is necessary to say what is meant by an error. Multiple
inheritance could cause *problems* if one needed to divide the ontology
into multiple modules. I think that is why Alan Rector et al. developed
their normalisation technique [1] in the OpenGalen project. It doesn't
say that you can't use multiple inheritance

Indeed, it explicitly uses it.
but rather that you should
build  a kind of taxonomy "backbone" with only single-inheritance and
then build upon it.

It says that you should have taxonomy backboneS, plural.

What the paper says is that you should separate multiple inheritance into separate 'modules' each with single inheritance. As it also remarks, this is a perfectly general technique which can always be done (speaking mathematically: in fact, the technique mentioned by John Sowa in this thread provides the necessary mathematical foundation, if anyone is interested.)  The paper also reports on considerable experience showing that people find this easier to deal with, which is not surprising. But none of this is relevant to any argument about the merits of single versus multiple inheritance: Rector's techniques are one way to approach multiple inheritance.

Pat

Jakub

[1] Alan L Rector, Modularisation of Domain Ontologies Implemented in
Description Logics and related formalisms including OWL
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~rector/papers/Modularisation-normalisation-rector.pdf

> Pat
>
> Patrick Cassidy
> MICRA, Inc.
> 908-561-3416
> cell: 908-565-4053
> cassidy@xxxxxxxxx

IHMC               (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.       (850)202 4416   office
Pensacola                 (850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502                     (850)291 0667    cell
http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes      phayesAT-SIGNihmc.us
http://www.flickr.com/pathayes/collections