Re: [ontolog-forum] [bfo-discuss] Re: Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: bfo-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, obo-relations@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 23:15:54 -0400
On May 6, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Alan> I've seen the disadvantages of multiple asserted
> inheritance when
>   Alan> reviewing, e.g. the Cell ontology in OBO, where it was
> demonstrated
>   Alan> (by the authors) that it was quite easy to find mistakes of
> the sort
>   Alan> where all of the properties described in the definition of
> (multiple,
>   Alan> and transitive) superclasses were not true of instances of
> the class
>   Alan> in question. Regarding (c) what is perhaps being referred
> to is that
>   Alan> if one practices "normalization" in the sense that Alan Rector
>   Alan> proposes [1] then the component single inheritance
> ontologies from
>   Alan> which more complex terms are constructed are more likely to
> be able to
>   Alan> be reused by other projects. Certainly that's the intention of
>   Alan> creating and using PATO. I've found the exercise of factoring
>   Alan> definitions in this manner is often helpful and is
> conducive to
>   Alan> helping the sorts of people I work with think carefully when
>   Alan> constructing ontologies.
>
> I think that we need to be clear here; there is a fundamental
> distinction
> between normalisation as according to Alan Rector and to the idea
> of single
> inheritance is a correct reflection of reality.    (01)

I think I've been clear on this. What I consider interesting is that
the same conclusions about the pragmatics of ontology construction
arise from two different approaches. For me, since I have respect for
the purveyors of these two approaches, this strengthens the case that
this is a good way to go about doing things.    (02)

> While you are correct that allowing multiple inheritance increases
> the risk of
> some common errors, it also allows modelling that is not possible
> otherwise;
> in particular it can be used to avoid a combinatorial explosion of
> terms.    (03)

Example?    (04)

> My take; single inheritance can be easier and simpler sometimes,
> but not always;    (05)

Curious about the not always. And not sure about the easier or
simpler either. "I would have written a shorter letter if I had
time", etc. But I think it leads to better quality results.    (06)

> using a computationally amenable languages and normalisation allows
> you to get some of the advantages of both.    (07)

+1 on that one.    (08)

-Alan    (09)

(the *other* Alan R ;-)    (010)