Re: [ontolog-forum] [bfo-discuss] Re: Heterarchy & Hierarchy, oh my my

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 22:59:44 -0400
Folks,    (01)

I'd like to elaborate on that notion of "dividing" an ontology
into multiple modules.  That assumes that somebody for some
reason had developed a large ontology out of whole cloth,
which must then be cut into pieces.    (02)

Instead, the approach I strongly recommended in my KR book
(and which the FCA people have developed in detail) is to
*start* with smaller pieces and *derive* the bigger parts
by an automated method that works out all the implications.    (03)

But I'm not asking for credit.  That approach was proposed by
Leibniz over 300 years ago.    (04)

For a brief summary about the lattices that are generated by this
method see    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/logic/math.htm#Lattice    (06)

For the Formal Concept Analysis Home Page, see    (07)

    http://www.upriss.org.uk/fca/fca.html    (08)