Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontolog IPR issues

To: "Ken Laskey" <klaskey@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 07:59:00 -0700
Ken,    (01)

> [KL]  I'm familiar (one might say *too* familiar) with the IPR rapids that W3C
> and OASIS continually attempt to navigate.    (02)

[ppy]  great! ... maybe you can give us some advice.    (03)

> [KL]  If you believe the Ontolog policy
> covers enough ground, I would drop the reference to the OASIS deprecated
> policy.    (04)

[ppy]  good point. Homest answer: I am not sure ... but I trust the
(then) OASIS process and policy (actually, I trust Jon Bosak, who was
heavily involved with crafting it then, and of course, UBL chair,
enough to default to that.) ... In your opinion, do you think the
Ontolog IPR policy covers enough ground to allow us to safely drop the
reference to the OASIS deprecated policy?    (05)

Besides, it's not just the IPR policy, though, it's the entire process
that I am certain, is much better thought out than what we could have
done, at the time, for Ontolog (and, remembering that we were, after
all, a UBL TC spin-off then.)    (06)

There are other things that are ready for a face-lift too, like moving
the reference to OPL v1.0 to a Creative Commons v3 license ... but, I
(personal opinion) don't want to open this can of worms, as I see
moves like that are only cosmetic, do not add value, and may create
potential tensions that may just hurt the prevailing collaborative
spirit without advancing our cause by one iota. ... Therefore, I
suggest we hold-off until something breaks (which hasn't happened yet)
or circumstances arise that forces us to revisit the matter.    (07)

Thanks & regards.  =ppy