Re: [ontolog-forum] Building on common ground

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:04:28 -0400
John B:
> So when its finished, that means that it will be approximating
> the old SENSUS and the newer OMEGA 'ontologies'? (which do contain
> a lot of Longman's, etc.) :-)
  It doesn't look much like the old Sensus (those parts I could ever get
hold of).  Coverage of Longman's is the minimal first requirement, but it
will be structured differently in some parts from any of the existing
ontologies.  If *all* one wanted was coverage, WordNet would do.  I want an
ontology that is useful for language *understanding* and reasoning, and as a
basis for specifying meaning for more complex concepts.  I'm not satisfied
with any of the existing ones.  If anyone else is similarly dissatisfied
with ontologies currently available, the COSMO should be able to accommodate
any required elements.  The only restriction is not to exclude any desired
elements for any reason other than logical inconsistency with some others.    (01)

I presume everyone who already has a foundation ontology that suits their
purposes is quite satisfied with it, and will focus on improving it, and is
unlikely to make any constructive suggestions about the COSMO, as that would
take a lot of time to dig into the structure of the COSMO to determine where
it might need improvement.  I sympathize with the limitations on time.  But
I do hope that such people will resist the temptation to make sarcastic
sniping comments from the sidelines - even though a smiley face does
ambiguously suggest friendly intent.  Comments or suggestions about specific
elements are of course always welcome.    (02)

Pat    (03)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416