Re: [ontolog-forum] Building on common ground

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 17:33:44 -0400
Christopher,
  Concerning your kind suggestion:    (01)

> in its paragraphs numbered 3 & 8, that Pat Cassidy will further
> explore his long-thread-throttled intuition that the very
> possibility of communication should imply some useful level of
> ontology commonality, syntactic and even apparent conceptual
> mismatches notwithstanding.    (02)

   I do believe that the frequency of successful communication - when
confined to good-faith efforts to communicate clearly using the basic terms
of the English vocabulary - implies a high commonality of mental models, for
those concepts that are referenced by those words, in the sense that they
are intended when used.  But as you have noted, there is skepticism from
some, and as I also mentioned, the only way to attempt to resolve that
question is by doing some objective experiments.  I don't think that
discussion will convince anyone.  We are, after all, all grandmasters at the
use of our native tongue, and no one else's intuition is going to be
superior to our own.  We need hard facts.
    Therefore, I prefer to concentrate on actually building the ontology
that corresponds to the basic English defining vocabulary, and by observing
how rapidly it needs to expand to accommodate multiple new domains, gather
data that bears on the question of how large the foundation ontology needs
to be, in order to serve as the "conceptual defining vocabulary" for
unrestricted domains.  I do this when I am not distracted by other urgent
tasks, which is almost all the time.    (03)

The current state of the COSMO ontology will generally be found at:
                     http://micra.com/COSMO/
It is currently in the form of an OWL ontology, and is in a very preliminary
stage, still missing most of the concepts labeled by the Longman's
dictionary defining vocabulary.  When functional it would have to be at
least FOL, with rules and multiple-arity relations, and functions.  There
may yet be some changes in even the most fundamental concept
representations.  The preliminary state is bad news and good news.  Bad,
because it has not been tested in any application.  Good, because it is
still sufficiently fluid to accommodate suggestions from anyone who may be
interested in seeing whether such an approach could produce something more
useful (or easier to use) than existing upper ontologies.    (04)

Ideally this should be a collaborative effort.  Anyone who has any interest
in exploring the potential for a foundation ontology structured as a
Conceptual Defining Vocabulary is encouraged to get in touch and discuss it.
All suggestions are welcome - except the suggestion to desist.  I will not
be deterred.    (05)

Pat    (06)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.