Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 23:36:15 -0400
Matthew,

> MW: This is, I hope you realise, a very strange idea.

Yes, 'strange' in the sense of being neither traditionally 3D nor
traditionally 4D, and I haven't seen this particular representation
elsewhere.  But that is pretty much the point (not being either-or).  I am
inclined to use this representation precisely to try to bridge the
differences between 3D and 4D, and make concrete my belief that those are
actually different logically consistent views of the same entity.  It won't
look familiar.  The practical benefit is to allow use of 3D when that is
convenient (to approach linguistic phraseology), and 4D when that is
convenient (to make time-indexed assertions binary).    (01)

   I think that there are two kinds of 'inconsistent' models.  One example
is the difference in Newtonian and Einsteinian space.  These are logically
inconsistent models, because they lead to different results in calculation,
and these different results can be tested experimentally.  At this point
what I have seen thus far still inclines me to believe that 3D/4D is a
different kind of 'inconsistency' - one in which the mental models appear to
be quite different, but in which, when formalized, the models turn out to be
logically consistent.  I will be quite contented to be proven wrong on that
belief (I have a lot to learn, and am delighted to be taught, even if it
turns out to be embarrassing), but I think that the proof should be done
with logical demonstrations.  And it may turn out that there are different
formalizations of 3D/4D, some of which are consistent and others of which
are not.  I do think this is worth some effort to resolve, if possible.    (02)

    This is probably not the only way to accommodate time-indexed relations
and relations on time slices in the same ontology.  Perhaps other ways would
be better.  What this demonstrates is that one can include objects that are
3D (in one sense) and 4D (in one sense) in the same consistent ontology.  If
this does not conform to one's intuitions about what a 3D specification
should look like, then I would like to see such a specification so that can
be evaluated on its own terms.    (03)

Pat    (04)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.