Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Gary Berg-Cross" <gary.berg-cross@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 17:14:23 -0400
John, Matt    (01)

I have a question on the discussion of very abstract top-level ontological
elements, things at the lower level of abstraction and the accommodation of
sophisticated physical notions such as in QM (per the discussion snippet
below).      (02)

There are 2 upper-lower ideas we are talking about here, and I understand the
idea of  dealing with the ontological abstract levels.  The abstractions there
might include categories sets, individuals, universals, and formal relations.
The allusion to QM etc. seems to suggest that these are farther down than other
things previously discussed like airline seating.  But I can imagine that this
is just our experiential bias working here to favor these human-sized and
time-scaled entities.      (03)

Without understanding the details I could imagine trying to connect some
abstractions to what MW called "a very low level of reality" in response to JS'
citing of QM.    (04)

Or said another way the relations for a between atoms (talk about reality)
might be just as important in one focused application of ontology as the
relations between planes is the more familiar ontologies (talk about our focus
on reality) and DBs we build.       (05)

Gary Berg-Cross, Ph.D.     (06)

EM&I    (07)

Semantic Technology
Suite 350  455 Spring park Place
Herndon VA  20170
703-742-0585
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?GaryBergCross
Executive Secretariat
Spatial Ontology Community of Practice (SOCoP)    (08)

http://semanticommunity.wik.is/Spatial_Ontology_Community_of_Practice
<http://semanticommunity.wik.is/Spatial_Ontology_Community_of_Practice>     (09)

JFS>>  But the types at the upper levels may become very abstract    (010)

 >> and sophisticated.        (011)

MW> I agree that there are some abstract concepts. But they are    (012)

 > relatively few (tens rather than hundreds in an ontology of    (013)

 > tens of thousands).    (013)
 ><http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-03/msg00179.html#nid013#nid013>
 >     (014)

Yes, but those very few concepts may have an enormous number of    (015)

implications.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be in the upper level.    (014)
<http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-03/msg00179.html#nid014#nid014>    (016)

MW> Of course those that are dealing with things at a lower level    (017)

 > of abstraction do not even need to be aware of these.  Most people    (018)

 > are happy when they can see that the next immediate supertype is    (019)

 > appropriate.    (015)
 ><http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-03/msg00179.html#nid015#nid015>
 >     (020)

I agree.  And that is why task-specific interoperability has    (021)

worked so successfully for people (and, I would claim, for most    (022)

computer agents as well).    (016)
<http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2008-03/msg00179.html#nid016#nid016>    (023)