Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:14:33 -0400
Matthew,
  Thanks for the info on the ISO 15296 process.
  I will answer two questions here:    (01)

[[[1]]]

> MW: Please explain how having temporal parts is compatible with not
> having temporal parts.

    Because the thing that has temporal parts (the 4D object) is not the
same type of thing as the one that has no temporal parts (the
dimension-neutral 'object'), in my own ontology, and different relations
apply to the two.
    Alternatively, if a 3D object is considered as a timeslice of a 4D
object, it *might* be included in the 'hasTemporalPart' relation, but in
that case it would trivially be a temporal part of itself, and the relation
would in fact apply. If the relation's intended meaning were more explicitly
a necessary 'hasTemporalProperParts', then a time-slice of zero duration
would *not* be part of the domain of the relation.  I would have to see the
explicit axiomatization to determine why there is an apparent contradiction.    (02)

   I have seen and participated in enough of these types of discussions to
know that talk of "logical contradiction" cannot be resolved unless the
axioms that explicitly demonstrate the logical contradiction are presented.
Pat Hayes has done that, and I believe that I recognize the flaws in those
demonstrations, but I will not have time to write the reply for another few
days.  Hold off on this topic until then?    (03)

[[[2]]]

> MW: It is only one case. However, what is clear here is that
> you are shifting your ground to accepting that to get general
> agreement you would need to include a number of ontological
> foundations, and the mappings between them where these could
> be constructed. This IS John's lattice of theories, so he will
> be pleased to hear that you support his position after all.
>
> MW: You can work out what most of these would be
> from the commitments they make to e.g. 3d/4d, extensionality
> and so on. I would guess there might be as many as 10 that
> would get enough support to be worth pursuing. But you can be
> open about this, be prepared to include anyone that is prepared
> to do the mapping work to the n other views (unless one turns
> out to be able to support all others completely.
>
> MW: Now this I think is worth trying to undertake. But we are
> now a million miles from a limited vocabulary able to define
> anything you want.

   I think we need to revisit a point of terminology.  If an ontology
includes multiple logically consistent viewpoints that can each be extracted
for separate use in an application, I consider that to be one ontology.  The
separately extracted ontologies are indeed different ontologies, but by
being extracted from a single logically consistent ontology rather than
developed separately they will be automatically logically consistent with
each other (cannot generate contradictions on inferencing), and will be
highly interoperable. Call that a "mapping" if you like ("mapping" usually
refers to the process of relating separately developed ontologies).  I would
have no problem in calling the ontology with multiple views a "lattice of
theories" except for one point - as it has been used many times, a "lattice
of theories" can include logically contradictory assertions.  If the
logically consistent ontology with multiple views is a "lattice of theories"
then it is one of a very special kind, and the distinction must be very
explicit to avoid confusion.  If you like, call it a "fully consistent
lattice of theories" - then I am comfortable.
   I have said on several occasions that I endorse the notion of having a
"lattice of theories", including logically incompatible ones.  But I still
believe that there is a self-consistent foundation ontology that includes
multiple views, which has enough basic concept representations to provide
the logical specifications of almost all the concepts in any domain - and
can be supplemented as required to specify any remaining concepts in that
domain not able to be specified by the pre-existing foundation ontology.
And this is precisely right in the center of my 'limited vocabulary'
(Conceptual Defining Vocabulary) hypothesis.
  I have said as part of this hypothesis that the required supplementation
for any given domain will be small, once the basic CDV is on hand.  But that
is also part of the hypothesis, which needs to be proven (probabilistically
- it can never be absolutely proven) by a serious attempt to build such a
foundation ontology.  And then by applying it to multiple domains.    (04)

Pat    (05)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.
908-561-3416