Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Patrick Cassidy" <pat@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:50:18 -0400
MW - one request for clarification:    (01)

[MW] >
> MW: I'm afraid I do not agree with Pat C at all. I have spent much of
> my life doing business analaysis for systems design, and reviewing
> data models produced by others. I am always surprised at just how
> different (and usually limited) peoples mental models are. I have yet
> to see two data models of the same application look the same except by
> cut and paste.
>    (02)

I am well aware that models created in isolation from each other will vary
widely.  That is a restatement of the problem.  The hypothesis of the
'Conceptual Defining Vocabulary' states that it will be possible to solve
that problem with a common ontology of agreed basic concepts that are used
to specify the meanings of the more specialized concepts in the different
models.    (03)

**  The relevant question is, when a group of people who are determined to
find a common model of *basic* concepts get together, what kinds of issues
remain that cannot be resolved by sincere efforts to find ways to
accommodate the needs of all of them? **    (04)

  I am very interested in finding out just what kinds of residual problems
there really are.  Thus far the examples I have seen all resolve to a
terminology clash - two different people want to use the same term to refer
to concepts of different meaning.  We know how to resolve terminology
clashes - use different names or different namespaces for the different
concepts.  If it is important to relate those concepts to each other, that
takes a bit of work to analyze the reasons for the differences and find the
relations between the two different representations.    (05)

  If there is a case where an effort of that kind could not arrive at
agreement on how to include or reconcile some seemingly logically
incompatible representations, I would very much like to learn what those
problems are, in detail.    (06)

Pat    (07)

Patrick Cassidy
MICRA, Inc.