Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:20:02 -0000
Dear Pat,    (01)

> MW - one request for clarification:
>
> [MW] >
> > MW: I'm afraid I do not agree with Pat C at all. I have
> spent much of
> > my life doing business analaysis for systems design, and reviewing
> > data models produced by others. I am always surprised at just how
> > different (and usually limited) peoples mental models are.
> I have yet
> > to see two data models of the same application look the
> same except by
> > cut and paste.
> >

> I am well aware that models created in isolation from each
> other will vary
> widely.  That is a restatement of the problem.  The hypothesis of the
> 'Conceptual Defining Vocabulary' states that it will be
> possible to solve
> that problem with a common ontology of agreed basic concepts
> that are used
> to specify the meanings of the more specialized concepts in
> the different
> models.    (02)

MW: I agree it is possible to come up with a common ontology of
basic concepts that can be used to integrate the diverse models
you talk about. I have done this myself with ISO 15926. However,
you are claiming that there is ONE such ontology which we all
share by some sort of osmosis. The point I was trying to make
about all the different data models is that there is not such
ONE ontology. I beleive there are several possible ontologies with
different ontological foundations, each of which would be quite
capable of helping to integrate diverse other ontologies of
whatever form.    (03)

MW: Further you are claiming that there are a limited set of
foundation objects from which all others can be defined. This
also does not sit true with me. I have seen new primitive
concepts arise at almost any and every level of an ontology. I
agree that it is very useful when classes can be defined as the
intersection of some other classes, but it doesn't actually happen
that often for me (though I admitedly usually leave these to
be implied, rather than making them explicit).    (04)

MW: Just as a simple example, can you show how you would move
from even a relatively general class like pump, to centrifugal
pump? Where do you get the centrifugal from?

> **  The relevant question is, when a group of people who are
> determined to
> find a common model of *basic* concepts get together, what
> kinds of issues
> remain that cannot be resolved by sincere efforts to find ways to
> accommodate the needs of all of them? **    (05)

MW: My experience again is that whatever you choose, there will
be some people who will find it unpalatable enough to walk away.
I would certainly not waste my time with anything 3D as an example,
and there are others who would not countenance 4D.

>   I am very interested in finding out just what kinds of
> residual problems
> there really are.  Thus far the examples I have seen all resolve to a
> terminology clash - two different people want to use the same
> term to refer
> to concepts of different meaning.  We know how to resolve terminology
> clashes - use different names or different namespaces for the
> different
> concepts.      (06)

MW: That is not true for 3D/4D, it is about what sorts of things
physical objects (in particular) are. For a 4-dimensionalist they
are extended in time and have temporal parts, for a 3 Dimensionalist
they wholly exist now, pass through time, and do not have temporal
parts. The terminology is frankly irrelevant, it is the ideas that
are diametrically opposed.    (07)

> If it is important to relate those concepts to
> each other, that
> takes a bit of work to analyze the reasons for the
> differences and find the
> relations between the two different representations.    (08)

MW: Yes, you could put both 3D and 4D theories into some ontology
repository, and provide a mapping between them. This is quite possible.
But make no mistake, you now already have a lattice of theories and
two foundation ontologies, not one. Each physical object would be
represented twice, once as a 3D object and once as a 4D object.

>   If there is a case where an effort of that kind could not arrive at
> agreement on how to include or reconcile some seemingly logically
> incompatible representations, I would very much like to learn
> what those
> problems are, in detail.    (09)

MW: Just take a close look at what Pat H is saying about the
incompatibility between 3D and 4D.