Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:08:43 -0500
Dear Matthew,    (01)

I intended to save the previous note as a draft, which I planned
to finish later.  But I accidentally hit send instead of save.
In any case, you responded to some important points, which should
be resolved before we continue.    (02)

JFS>> But for most applications, the most important ontologies are the
 >> low-level ones that are often independent of the upper levels.    (03)

MW> Not between 3D and 4D. It goes all the way down. I only wish
 > that were not so.    (04)

I agree that is true for some applications, but I seriously doubt that
it is true for a large number of important applications.    (05)

JFS>> For example, an airline schedule has lots of times and places,
 >> but it is irrelevant whether the upper level uses a 3+1D or 4D
 >> axiomatization of space and time or how the upper level defines
 >> objects, people, and events.    (06)

MW> No it is not.    (07)

I very, very, very strongly doubt that the choice of a 3D vs 4D
upper ontology would have the slightest effect on the design
of a database for airline schedules, train schedules, and many
similar applications.    (08)

I'd like to hear any arguments to the contrary, but I doubt that
a strong case can be made that a 4D ontology is a requirement for
those applications.    (09)

MW> The point I was trying to make is that different peoples mental
 > models are not the same, so there is no reason why they should
 > easily agree on an ontology just because they share a common
 > language to describe their mental models    (010)

I very strongly agree with that point.    (011)