Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontology similarity and accurate communication

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:33:34 -0500
Dear Matthew,    (01)

We seem to have an agreement in principle, but there are many details
to be resolved.  (That, of course, is where the devil is lurking.)    (02)

MW> We seem to have reached agreement here, provided compatibility
 > is defined as a mapping being available.    (03)

Being available or derivable.    (04)

As an example, see slides 9 to 16 of the talk I mentioned in an
earlier note:    (05)

    http://www.jfsowa.com/talks/semtech3.pdf
    The Goal of Language Understanding    (06)

That is just one example, and much more work is needed to develop
the software into a tool that connects smoothly to various kinds
of DBs and KBs.  But it illustrates the point that two accurate
descriptions of the same object or situation should be compatible
and it should be possible to find a mapping between them.    (07)

In that example, both descriptions happened to describe exactly
the same information.  But the mappings may be harder to find
when each description focuses on different aspects and there is
only a partial overlap.    (08)

I won't claim that it's easy, much more R & D is necessary,
but it should be possible to derive such mappings.    (09)