Re: [ontolog-forum] orthogonal

To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 12:25:19 -0600
At 12:31 PM -0500 3/4/08, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
On Mar 4, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:

That all sounds reasonable.

Thanks. I try to be.
What has it got to do with the topic of the question?

The original poster asked: "When are ontologies orthogonal?"

I use the word "term" below to mean a name that denotes some set of things, understanding that terms can be defined to denote sets of thing by expressions that relate the sets denoted by other terms. An "Ontology", in the sense I am using it here, is, among other things, a set of such terms and associated expressions.

My problem is much simpler than this. The original question used the term 'orthogonal'. Your reply did not use the term. I had no idea how your reply related to the original question.

I note that the word "orthogonal" is sometim

Yes, I did note that. It seems to be quite widely used now, without ever being defined. Sigh.

One group (that I am associated with) uses the term "orthogonal" in this way

I am pretty sure that group introduced the term in this ontology context, and must therefore bear the responsibiilty for saying what it is intended to mean :-)

(http://www.obofoundry.org/crit.shtml)

I give here my understanding of how the term is used in that context, by
 - first defining the orthogonality of two terms in an ontology (=def don't denote the same set of things).

OK, that's a definition, thanks. That sounds like simply the denial of owl:sameAs, or in a logical language, denial of an equation: 'A' and 'B' are orthogonal when (not (= A B)) is true. That is, when 'A' and 'B' denote different things.

Is that right? And do you really mean true, or do you mean 'provable from the ontology'? I suspect that you might mean the latter, in fact.

 => orthogonal(term,term)

 - then defining orthogonality of term with respect to another set of terms (=def doesn't denote the same thing as some _expression_ in terms of the other terms) => orthogonal(term,set of terms)

So 'A' is orthogonal to S when there is no _expression_ E over the vocabulary of S with (= A E) true/provable.

- Implicitly defining orthogonal(term, ontology) as orthogonal(term, the set of terms in the ontology)

OK.

- Defining orthogonality of ontologies ont1 and ont2 as  (lambda(ont1,ont2) (apply 'and (mapcar (lambda(term) (orthogonal(term,ont2))) ont1)) => orthogonal(ontology,ontology).

Well, no need to get into Lisp (a long time since I saw mapcar in a definition :), I get the idea. But now, which ontology are we doing the proving in?

-----

If I follow all this, it can be much more straightforwardly described in terms of definability.

1. A term A is definable in an ontology O is there is an _expression_ DEF using the vocabulary of O such that (= A DEF) is provable in O. The equation is called a definition of A wrt O.

(This is fairly standard; it needs to be modified to handle recursive definitions, which is much more tricky, but can be done. It can be extended to handle relational terms by allowing the sentence

(forall (x1 ... xn)(iff (A x1 ... xn) DEF))

to be provable in O, where x1 ... xn are all free in DEF. Or whatever is the appropriate translation into the ontology language: I'm using ISO CLIF here.)

2. A term A is orthogonal to O when it is not definable in O.

3. Two ontologies O and P are orthogonal when every term in O is orthogonal to P and every term in P is orthogonal to O.

Note in 3 that each half of the condition uses different notions of 'provable'.

In addition, I add commentary motivating the utility for defining orthogonality - namely that it can be usefully used to describe a situation that one might want to avoid - using together two ontologies that are not orthogonal, or adding a term to an ontology that is not orthogonal to the others.

Implicit: a) You can add the name as a synonym  in such situations, instead of defining a new terms b) It is harmless to add terms that are defined as set of necessary and sufficient conditions that are expressions in terms of the others

?? Unless Im completely missing the point (quite possible) , this seems to contradict orthogonality. So are you saying here that orthogonality is harmless??

, provided that the system doing the query can infer, given such definitions, that the terms denote the same set of things. c) Many query systems do not accomplish b) because either the language one has available for expressions is not adequate to the task, or because the query system do not compute and use all valid inferences to solve the query
Does that help you understand what I intended to convey?

You be the judge, given my responses.

Pat

If not, would you mind helping me further debug? Or suggest alternative language for conveying what you considered reasonable in my previous message.

foodly yours,
Alan