Re: [ontolog-forum] Search engine for the ontology

To: "scorek" <scorek@xxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 21:48:38 +0200
Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:49 PM, "scorek" wrote:
''I am currently developing a search engine for the ontology that has
defined classes like "watch", instances like "Casio" and property values
like "blue"''.    (01)

Dear "scorek",    (02)

The uniqeness of ontology is that it is a single concept scheme uniformly
covering all things in the world. You can not have one ontology for watches,
another for timepieces, another for instruments, another for devices,
another for artifacts, another for physical objects, and another for
physical entities. In reality, there is only one global ontology for
entities and relationships embracing a multitude of particular concept
schemes such as thesauri, classification schemes, subject heading lists,
taxonomies, folksonomies, typologies, and controlled vocabularies.
The beauty of a true ontology consists in that it deals with a finite number
of general classes (kinds, generic varieties), while particular sciences are
concerned with an infinite number of natural species (specific varieties).    (03)

Summing up: The generic variety of the world is finite (here comes up
ontology), but the specific variety of reality is infinite (here comes up
particular sciences). Then all specific artificial sorts, as ''watch'' with
its divisions (pendulum watch, analog watch, digital watch, pocket watch,
wrist watch, etc.), seem to be incalculable.   So, to write an operative
search engine for ontology looks to be the devil job.    (04)