Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:18:03 -0500
Avril,    (01)

There is nothing wrong in making recommendations about what
research directions that seem promising.  But different people
have different intuitions about different kinds of problems.    (02)

For most of my research, I don't see much need for transfinite
cardinals and ordinals.  On the other hand, if other people have
deep feelings and intuitions about them, I wouldn't stop them.
They may see things that I don't see.    (03)

 > Does not a never ending totality bother you?
 > How can it be a totality, if it never ends?
 > How can it be completed, if it never ends?    (04)

Those are questions that wouldn't bother me because I don't
feel any need to ask them.    (05)

 > Why hold on to it, when it is unnecessary, and simultaneously
 > perhaps the most criticized thing in the history?    (06)

If you want to propose an approach that is more useful for
many purposes, then by all means make a good case for it.
But there is no reason to stop other people from pursuing
their own interests.    (07)

I strongly agree with Peirce's "First Rule of Reason":    (08)

    Do not block the way inquiry.    (09)

For me to tell a professional mathematician not to pursue his
or her own intuitions about any mathematical subject would be
to set up a roadblock on a way of inquiry.    (010)

Although I do not intend to pursue that path, I see no reason
why I should try to stop anyone else.    (011)