Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Avril Styrman <Avril.Styrman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 20:52:10 +0200
John,    (01)

I agree with all you said below: mathematics does not
need foundations. Finitism, as I see it, is not a
foundationalist approach. It only aims to prune off
transfinity from mathematics.     (02)

        Finitism = mathematics minus transfinity    (03)

If there were no transfinity, there would be no reason
for finitism either.    (04)

>   5. Adopting one or another as the *only* approach would be
>      a disaster because it would rule out mathematics that might
>      become very important for some future applications.    (05)

I believe that pruning off transfinitism will not lead
into a disaster of any sort, because there is no real need for
any constructions above the finite, or potential infinite
in any case, that can in one sense be reduced to finitism.    (06)

That is not to say that a lot of very important things have
been reached by holding transfinitist foundations. It is just
that these important things could be reached without the
transfinitist foundations as well, at least the part that
has a real application. And probably much more, since
finitism is a simpler mathematics, constructivist, and more
practical in nature. There is no need for an extra layer of
foundations, or anything above common sense.    (07)

What -ism has been critisized in analytical philosophy more than
transfinitism? Perhaps idealism, or nominalism, hard to say.    (08)

Why hold on to it, when it is unnecessary, and simultaneously
perhaps the most critisized thing in the history?      (09)

Avril    (010)

Quoting "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>:    (011)