Re: [ontolog-forum] language ambiguity (was: Axiomatic ontology)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:12:46 -0500
LY> It does not say anything about being Barney's comapny or who
 > Barney Pell is, which is ironic.    (01)

The short answer is that the core of the PowerSet technical staff
consists of Ron Kaplan and a large proportion of the the PARC
researchers who had worked with him in developing the XLE parser.
Following is a summary of XLE with pointers to further publications:    (02)

    http://www2.parc.com/isl/groups/nltt/xle/
    XLE Project    (03)

Last year, there was a web page that contained snapshots of the
people involved.  Most of them were from PARC or Fuji Xerox,
but I can't find the web page now.    (04)

At the 2007 ACL conference (Association for Computational Linguistics)
in Rochester, NY, three companies were actively recruiting:  Google,
Microsoft, and PowerSet.  The PowerSet gang had trays of cookies with
their logo baked into them.  I picked up pens from all three tables.
The Google and Microsoft pens had cute LED lights on them.  The
PowerSet pen didn't light up, but it was more practical.    (05)

As far as I know, most of the PARC researchers are "on loan" to
PowerSet.  I don't know the details of the arrangements, but I
believe that a major part of PARC's investment consists of
licensing their technology to PowerSet.    (06)

As Pat said, I wish them well.    (07)