[ontolog-forum] Proceedings: Ontolog Panel Discussion - Ontology Applica

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:38:08 -0800
We had, on Thursday 14-February-2008, a really comprehensive virtual
session with an expert panel of emergency response system
practitioners and standards developers. The session was organized and
co-chaired by Mr. Rex Brooks (President & CEO, Starbourne
Communications Design) and Dr. Bob Smith (Professor Emeritus,
California State University), who presented, along with panelists Ms.
Elysa Jones (CTO, Warning Systems), Mr. David Webber (Senior
Architect, Integrity One Partners) and Ms. Michelle Raymond (Principal
Research Scientist, Honeywell ACS Labs). Together they shared with the
community, their experience and insight on some of the greatest
challenges in developing good emergency response systems, and
concluded that the use of ontological engineering will be a crucial
next step toward improving on current emergency response systems and
standards.    (01)

We want to express our thanks to our wonderful panel, and to all those
who were able to join us in real time, for the wonderful session we
had.    (02)

Proceedings of the session are captured on our wiki page, at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_02_14    (03)

In particular, full audio recording of the session (as well as the
podcast of it) is now available - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_02_14#nid1951    (04)

... The contribution from this panel will, no doubt, highlight the
efficacy and the role ontologies and semantic technologies can play in
helping develop better Emergency Response Management. Their call to
both the emergency management systems community and the ontology
community to work that into the forthcoming standards and systems in
both timely and crucial. Thanks again, Rex, Bob, Elysa, David,
Michelle and everyone!    (05)

Best regards. =ppy    (06)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, ONTOLOG    (07)

P.S. Coming up in the next two weeks are: (formal announcements coming!)    (08)

  * 2008.02.21 (Thursday): OKMDS - Discussion: "How Knowledge
Management Supports Decision Making in the (US) Federal Government" -
Speakers: Mr. Giora Hadar (FAA) & Dr. Michael Kull (NRC) - Session
chair: Ms. Jeanne Holm (NASA/JPL) - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_02_21    (09)

  * 2008.02.28 (Thursday): OOR Panel Discussion: "Ontology Registry
and Repository Technology & Infrastructure Landscape" - see:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_02_28    (010)

Watch our [ontolog-invitation] list for further announcements of
Ontolog events that may be of interest, or browse the listing under
the "News & Announcements" section at our Ontolog WikiHomePage (at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidW ) for our
upcoming events.    (011)

An archive of noteworthy past Ontolog events can be found at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nidZ    (012)

Tx. =ppy
--    (013)