Re: [ontolog-forum] Axiomatic ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: paola.dimaio@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:37:16 +0700
Sean,
thanks. But this is not just on the web though    (01)

Take a phone book of London
Look up Sean Barker
How many will you find?
Take any book, any dictionary, and look up common words in the
glossaries, there are tons of possible instances, and unless you
disambiguate with a context, you will not be able to distinguish such
instances    (02)

Take reality as a whole, pick a grain of sand in the desert
can you differentiate it from another grain of sand in another desert
without forensic analysis?    (03)

If not entirely a waste of your time, could you please point me a bit
further, and tell what does your example demonstrate that I am not
grasping?
thanks    (04)

PDM    (05)

On Feb 4, 2008 6:05 PM, Barker, Sean (UK) <Sean.Barker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paola,
>         Yes, your are missing my point. The use of "sean barker
> ontology" specifically uses domain knowledge that "sean barker"  is not
> adequate as a way of identifying an individual. It also uses domain
> knowledge about what terms are likely to provide a useful filter. This
> knowledge is not directly available on the Web.
>
> I experimented finding the number of hits on a Google search with a
> variety of qualifiers. The answer was that accuracy generally improved
> with qualifiers based on domain knowledge, but even rubbish qualifiers -
> including apple, elephant, camel and ADQ - could produce some hits. In
> some cases, rubbish qualifiers actually improved the hit rate - for
> example, PDF BAE gave 9 hits, while BAE alone gave only 7.
>
> That is, to learn from web facts about this particular "sean barker",
> you would have to already know what you wanted to learn.
>
> Sean Barker
> BAE SYSTEMS - Advanced Technology Centre
> Bristol, UK
> +44(0) 117 302 8184
>
> BAE Systems (Operations) Limited
> Registered Office: Warwick House, PO Box 87, Farnborough Aerospace
> Centre, Farnborough, Hants, GU14 6YU, UK
> Registered in England & Wales No: 1996687

Paola Di Maio
School of IT
www.mfu.ac.th