Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "John Black" <JohnBlack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 15:16:28 -0600
At 6:40 AM -0500 1/15/08, John Black wrote:
I think I spy a disconnect between our approaches to this problem.
Specifically, you often seem to be taking the viewpoint of a browser client, or at least of some agent that can only know what HTTP, as a formal system, can communicate. Such a perspective is valuable when examining possible interpretations of the web Architecture document, or of the semantics of HTTP.

Not exactly the viewpoint of, but yes, Im interested in getting this discussion sufficiently precise that it can be used as the basis for building ontology and SWeb software by dealing with appropriate formalisms.

But there is another perspective we can take, and I am speaking from that perspective. We can take the view of a web scientist or ontology engineer.

I don't think these are the same perspective. An ontology engineer has to engineer ontologies, and they are formal, and manipulated by software.

We can look at this example with the full power of human reason.

Of course we CAN, but what would this have to do with an ontology forum? And in any case (see below) even if we do this, as an exercise in semiotics, we still need to be rather exact about what we are talking about in order to not get muddled.

We can go behind the scenes and find out who maintains that resource at the W3C.

Not using Web resources you can't.

We might even be able to find out who first designed and implemented it and why.

Ditto. Look, you can hire a detective to find out who is sleeping with someone's wife, but what has that got to do with Web architecture or ontology design?

So in what follows, I am often not disputing what you say, just looking at it from this other viewpoint.