Re: [ontolog-forum] CL, CG, IKL and the relationship between symbols in

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 20:18:17 +0100
John:
You said:
"If you want somebody to understand ontology, don't *ever* teach them
RDF, OWL, or any other computer notation until *after* they are capable
of stating exactly what they mean in their own native language.
Otherwise, their ideas will be forever polluted by the quirks of that
notation"    (01)

Agree entirely. The issue however, is: what do you mean by "mean" (and,
yes, I'm serious): it is not just a matter of "stating what they mean"
but finding agreement between two or more parties that they "mean" the
same thing: that is where language, be it human or logical, comes in and
it seems to me that the first pitfall is *assuming* that there is
general agreement at this first stage of "stating what you mean":
stating to whom? Using what? What you describe as the "quirks of
notation" are considered hard and fast rules by others: what does "is"
mean, for example? When and how do you slide from the (necessary)
pedantry of a formal language to the rich but informal expression of
what "you really mean is..."?    (02)

If the objective is to communicate your meaning, you have to use some
sort of language, and the phase of "stating what you mean" put in some
context as soon as you start using any language. There's the rub...is
there "meaning" before language (sorry, that's likely to start another
discussion)?    (03)

Peter    (04)