Re: [ontolog-forum] (OT) German

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:06:57 -0800

> >rhinoceros means nose+horn in Greek
>
> Ah, yes, in Greek. But in English, it means rhinocerous.
>
> You see, that is just the kind of thing that
> makes English so superior to all those other
> languages: in English, words have their proper
> meanings. It really is quite simple, I sometimes
> wonder why the rest of the world isn't able to
> see the truth staring them in the face: but then
> I have to concede, they do have the handicap of
> speaking one of the faulty languages.    (01)

And this clear universality and optimality of English is why no matter
where you go in the Universe (outside of a few spots here on Earth),
people speak English. It's really quite handy when it comes time to
dramatize the exploits of the Kirks, the Picards, the O'Neils and
others of space exploration fame both now and in the future. It just
slows things down so damn much to have to learn other people's
languages!    (02)

> Pat    (03)

RRS    (04)