Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:48:23 -0000
Dear Pat et al,    (01)

<snip>
> FWIW, here is the definition of "context" that I put forward at
> Heidelberg, and which seemed to meet with some general acceptance.
>
> -------
> Theories of meaning invariably focus their attention on some subset
> of the many factors which can possibly influence the actual meaning
> conveyed by a meaningful utterance or sentence or diagram, or any
> symbolic structure or act. The other factors or aspects which may
> influence meaning, but which are not explicitly examined by the
> theory, are often referred to as "context". Thus, the term "context"
> has no single meaning: it is used simply to refer to anything (or
> sometimes everything) which can influence meaning but which is
> outside the scope of the current theory. It is always defined
> negatively.
> -------    (02)

MW: This fits very well with how I have come to understand context,
which roughly speaking is "What was left out because it was so
obvious".    (03)

MW: The problem is that what is obvious in one context, is not obvious
in another context, and provides significant hinderance when you try
to integrate the two ontologies. As a result, my approach to context
in this sense is that if you can identify one, try to eliminate it by
making it explicit.    (04)

MW: On the other hand, this idea of context seems to me to be different
from what John S is talking about with boxes, and Pat H about IKL. This
is about saying something about propositions, it seems to me.    (05)

MW: Equally, Duane seems to be talking as much about an approach to
analysis as anything else, with a handy check-list of "contexts" to
make sure you have not left something out.    (06)

<snip>    (07)

Regards    (08)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Registered in England and Wales
Registered number: 621148
Registered office: Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (09)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (010)