Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
From: Duane Nickull <dnickull@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 18:26:37 -0800
What do you mean by your last sentence "It is always defined negatively"?  I
know that in UN/CEFACT CCTS context can only further constrain a data
element, not add more substance to it beyond its' original generic form.    (01)

Duane    (02)

On 1/2/08 6:07 PM, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:    (03)

> FWIW, here is the definition of "context" that I put forward at
> Heidelberg, and which seemed to meet with some general acceptance.
>
> -------
> Theories of meaning invariably focus their attention on some subset
> of the many factors which can possibly influence the actual meaning
> conveyed by a meaningful utterance or sentence or diagram, or any
> symbolic structure or act. The other factors or aspects which may
> influence meaning, but which are not explicitly examined by the
> theory, are often referred to as "context". Thus, the term "context"
> has no single meaning: it is used simply to refer to anything (or
> sometimes everything) which can influence meaning but which is
> outside the scope of the current theory. It is always defined
> negatively.

"Speaking only for myself"
Senior Technical Evangelist - Adobe Systems, Inc.
Blog - http://technoracle.blogspot.com
Community Music - http://www.mix2r.com
My Band - http://www.myspace.com/22ndcentury
Adobe MAX 2008 - http://technoracle.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-max-2008.html