Re: [ontolog-forum] Scheduling a Discussion [was: CL, CG, IKL and the re

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:02:38 -0500
Pat,    (01)

I seriously doubt that anyone will successfully respond to that
challenge:    (02)

PH> If anyone can suggest a single axiom which relates propositions
 > or sentences to contexts, and is true both when this means the
 > proposition is true at or in that time, and also when it means
 > the proposition is entailed by a set of beliefs, I would be
 > delighted to be shown it. I have made this challenge repeatedly
 > to proponents of 'contexts' for many years, and have yet to be
 > given an answer.    (03)

That is like asking for a single axiom that relates a verb to
its object.  The approach many linguists recommend is to treat
the relation between verb and object as a syntactic mechanism
that can express a variety of "thematic roles", such as
Theme, Patient, or Result -- any of which may be subdivided
further for various special cases.    (04)

That approach makes it possible to specify different axioms for
each type of relation.  As I said before, my proposal for handling
contexts is to do something similar:  separate the syntax from
the semantics.  Then specify different axioms for each relation
type that links a proposition to a statement that says something
about that proposition.    (05)