Re: [ontolog-forum] brainwaves (WAS: to concept or not to concept, is th

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wacek Kusnierczyk <Waclaw.Marcin.Kusnierczyk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:47:08 +0100
Patrick Cassidy wrote:

> The statement: “All crows are black.” Can be readily falsified by a
> trip to Moscow (Russia), where one finds that the dominant crow
> variety is black and grey. I was startled to see them on my first
> trip, always having assumed from folklore that crows are of course
> black, always. It’s a variety whose exact range I am not sure of, but
> it extends at least as far as the northern Ukraine.

The term 'crow' is not really a name for a species, but rather for a
larger taxonomic group (a genus) covering a few distinct species, and
these species differ in, among others, color, and there are also
intraspecies variations in color so that even in species of crows which
are usually all black there are individuals that are not.    (01)

You do not have to travel to Russia to see non-all-black crows; we have
plenty of them in Poland (the western parts included). And you do not
need to travel at all to learn that there are non-all-black crows ---
you'll find that in any good bird guide (though you'd not see a crow
there, hopefully).    (02)

If you are comfortable with making judgments based on folklore, your choice.    (03)

vQ    (04)